Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Simple Things


Today, I mowed the lawn. Actually, it was a two day project. Yes, it was that bad. I would liken it to a wild meadow, but it wasn't nearly that pretty. To give you some idea of the state which our grass was in, I will tell you that our little Shih Tzu would pretty much be engulfed when he went outside to relieve himself. While it was fun to imagine what it was like for him to go wading into a jungle of grass and weeds (especially right now with his at-home haircut that makes him look like a little lion), it was beginning to encroach on my veggie garden. Any grass that threatens my harvest is doomed, so I strapped on the Pea and squared off to the lawn mower.

Now that we have a push mower I am willing to help Jed with this chore. Not too long ago, we were using a hand-me-down riding one that Jed's dad gave us. Thank goodness that one petered out, let me tell you. One time around our uneven side yard on that thing, and that was enough for me, thank you very much! I pictured a grisly demise every time I thought of getting back in the seat.

Wyatt helped me push the mower in the backyard where the ground is fairly level, and he was super excited about that. He kept exclaiming "It's my first time mowing!", and kissed my forearms more than once. He gripped the handle so tightly that his knuckles were white, and he walked between my arms with purpose. Penelope stared up at the trees and the blue sky, and fell asleep by the time I was done with the side yard. I wonder if the vibration from the mower had anything to do with that.

I relished the way my biceps, shoulders, and abs tightened when I had to muscle the mower over the more uneven parts. The light breeze cooled my sweaty neck as I worked, and I thought to myself that mowing is like vacuuming's more adventurous sister. I think I will offer to trade duties with Jed.

On tomorrow's docket - Weeds.
(*pic is not mine btw)

No comments:

Post a Comment