Sunday, May 16, 2010

Black Gold

post title a {black:#000}

Well, we're about a month late for our area according to The Farmer's Almanac planting table, but on Thursday we finally got our vegetable garden in the ground! It's a good thing we didn't wait until the weekend because the F.A. says any seeds planted May 15-16th will tend to rot!

After two years of planting in containers, and having only a strip of a garden to speak of, we now have 230 glorious square feet of beautiful composted gardening space!

In the ground are:

Tomatillos (75 day maturity)

Tomatoes: Early Girl (bush and vine), Juliet, and Sun Gold (all with a maturity of 55-60 days!)

Giant Mammoth Melting Sugar Snow Peas, and some left over heirloom Snap Peas from last year (65 and 55 day maturity)

Muncher Cucumbers (65 day maturity)

Early Sunglow Corn (65 day maturity!)

Hops (perrenial plant that gets better every year)

4 varieties of Bush Beans: Top Crop, Blue Lake, Yellow Wax, and Purple (52-60 day maturity)

Parisian Market Carrots (50-60 day maturity)

Bon Vivant Blend Lettuce (45-55 day maturity)

Chioggia Beets (60 day maturity)

Early Scarlet Globe Radishes (24 day maturity!)

Zucchini Squash: Caserta, and 49er (50-55 day maturity)



Wyatt and I also planted Mammoth Sunflowers and marigolds in our blue planter. We planted the sunflowers there last year, and they did really well. It's so fun to watch them grow, and grow, and grow! Last year the squirrels hung from the drooping flowers and harvested the seed heads for us, but this year we plan to harvest them ourselves!


In my other deck planters, my Bee's Balm came back, but nothing else, so I hope to plant new perrenials there. Also, if we actually get the gravel done this year I would love to replant my potted herb garden. If nothing else though, I have a packet of wildflower seeds I am determined to sow in the front flower garden. Of course that will require some back breaking cultivating, but with my trusty Ergo to pack the Pea and my hardworking son I think we can do it! Wish us luck!




Happy Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment